I copied this picture from a friend’s blog with her permission of course, because it captured my heart. This picture was taken in Chinatown and if you ask me what’s so special about it, actually nothing really. But this picture caught my eye coz it brought out poverty, it brought out simplicity of lifestyle and it reminded of the fact that there are actually many in Singapore who are not THAT fortunate. This picture also brought to remembrance scenes of 3rd world countries which really stirred something in my heart and spirit. I haven’t been to that many countries but I’m just attracted to the lifestyle, the people, and their simplicity. Perhaps that is a gift from God and preparation for what lies ahead. Maybe I was made to be this way because of the purposes He has for me.
I remember how I asked God for compassion and He gave. I remember how He placed within my heart a burden for the less fortunate. I remember the visions and the dreams He gave me. The call upon my life. How He led me to major in social work. The reason why I am in social work and how I am enjoying it. The passion He has given me. The experiences that I went through personally and how they increased my self awareness. The lives that I believe that he will place in my path to impact. And now, how I believe I can partner with God to being who He wants me to be. I am really grateful as I think back, because I know that who I am today, is all His leading and guidance. And I really have a long way to go, I am pressing on ahead because I know the stretch ahead is going to be an uncertain YET an extremely exciting one. Where do I want to be? ONLY in the centre of His will. That’s where I really want to dwell. No where else.
So, back to the picture. This picture triggers so many thoughts, and most of all, a really grateful heart. That’s what a picture can do to me.
.jpg)
2 comments:
You know rachel, it's interesting that you shared about your response to the picture, and to poverty. I had for the longest time a nick that said "What needs healing is not the poverty of the world, but the poverty of the soul", and I thought it was rather apt for the situation. I went through the same thought processes, or at least, it seems like it, and I'm still wondering, like you, if it has any bearing on where God wants me to go. It started in Vietnam, and eventually in Cambodia in 2004. The jist of it is this: I went, and saw communities which weren't nearly as materially rich as we are. I heard comments like "so poor thing" and "wah, we're so lucky", and, for some strange reason, those comments didn't sit well with me. Part of the reason it wasn't a unanimous "oh, they're so poor" kind of response was because I really didn't think they missed out much at all. I might be treading dangerous waters when I say this, but they were no doubt simpler but much happier. I really loved them as a people. I couldn't accept that we thought them "unfortunate" based on a material standard at all. If we should base it on any standard of how "rich" or "poor" we are, let's base it on a Spiritual standard. Let's base it on how much much of God we have, and how everything else pales in comparison.
Basically, the experience back then has changed my perception of the word "help". I want, as far as possible to not consider myself as "helping" anyone, especially in these contexts, because "help" implies, at least to some degree, a condescending sense of superiority. I'm probably just being picky here- cos there are instnaces where help is necessary, but, its the attitude I'm trying to be cautious of.
I hope I'm not coming across as boistrous in any way, because i can be when I'm passionate about what I believe. It's jsut that what you've just posted has been on my mind for a long time, and for a lot of reasons. I'm also not trying to negate how blessed we are, and how much we have that has been so freely given; it can also be easily taken away. But a heart that trusts will always rejoice in the grace of God and in full hope that all things work for the good.
What needs healing is the poverty of the soul, maybe, at least back home, we need to realise how poverty-stricken we are, because, all that can be seen and all that is material so easily distracts us from what we really need, and even fooling us into thinking we don't need God.
We don't even realise how poor we are.
of course, of course.in fact,i totally agree with you.my "gratefulness" here is not bcoz of the material wealth/comfort we enjoy (which yes,i am grateful about)but how God has led me to realise things that i never knew before.things that i never cared about/bothered with.
well,i actually do feel strongly and was commenting to someone recently how apathic our society is.what do pple nowadays know about the world?and what do they care about it?shrugs,i really dunno.i am not saying tt i know alot or am above the rest in terms of compassion but it is stg to think about.are we concerned enough to cry for the souls out there?those who do not have both material AND spiritual wealth?are we willing to go on our needs and weep for them? and most importantly,are we willing to GO and make that difference by bringing the truth and the love of Christ to them?
you are right,we might be rich in materials but in extreme poverty spiritually compared to many christians around the world.that,i have seen for myself too.but that will not stop me from being grateful.in fact,that will propel me to do stg sbout it,bcoz,to me,gratefulness compels.i do not necessarily view "help" as "a condescending sense of superiority" (although i do understand what you mean when u say that) because i see it as an exchange of empowerment.there are certain things that i feel that we can give them,and so them to us.
i find it hard to explain how i really feel about this by typing out.perhaps we can talk about this some day. :)
Post a Comment