I typed, deleted, re-typed, deleted and re-typed again. Finally this is what I want to talk about and share. Control. As humans, we all yearn for control don’t we? Every minute of our lives. Whether conscious, subconscious or unconscious, we yearn for it all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Perhaps I should speak for myself at this point of time, but I don’t think I will have lack of people agreeing. We want to do what is right, we desire to have our way in situations, we hold on to things that make us feel like we know what we are doing, if we could we would like to hold the weather, when the next bus comes, (blah blah blah) we want to know what happens for us in future, we make plans for tomorrow, we want to know what in store for us in years to come, and the want just slowly becomes a need and we just………have to know or else, hmm, something just doesn’t seem right.
That happened to me just 2 days ago. No, it wasn’t because of my future, thank God He is gracious enough to reveal to me certain things and I trust Him with regards to that. It wasn’t wanting to know my plans for the next day. What I wanted to be in control of was a situation I was directly involved in YET I could not control because I couldn’t and probably shouldn’t. (I do not need to reveal the details of this situation.) And that frustrated me. The lack of knowing what to do, the want to do something but the knowing that I shouldn’t, it made me upset. And as I begin to evaluate and ask God why all these emotions were exploding from within, I began to realise; that it all boils down to the fact that I have no control over the situation. This realisation came to me in a weird sort of way. I was doing my readings for counselling theories and there was this statement where the author said that anxiety is often caused by the lack of control jumped right out at me. (Something along those lines) And I began to realise that yes, my frustration, being upset, feeling that my day was ruined was all because of my lack of control. And when I realised that I began to give it all to the Lord. That’s what I began to do.
What I couldn’t control I submitted it to Him. Because I believe my God is sovereign. You know what sovereignty means? Sove-REIGN-ty. Saying God is sovereign means this: God YOU reign in the midst of my situation. It means to trust in His Lordship ‘cause He knows best. It means to cast your anxiety upon Him. It means to trust Him with your life and the concerns in your life. It means to let Him steer your boat. The more I understood this, the more liberated I felt. God assured me that I was in the centre of His will. And even though I have no control whatsoever over the situation, I am not in despair, I am not dismayed because I KNOW that HE IS. I think that was how Paul was able to rejoice in the Lord in whatever circumstances he was in:"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” (Phil 4:12) he learnt that even though circumstances were not the greatest in the eyes of men or in his eyes, God was in control. And as we learn that truth, we began to realize that whether we are in need of have plenty, whether we mountainous situation or hills in our lives, whether we stumble or seem to hit a dead end, whether we know or do not know our future, and whether we are in control or everything just seems to be in a huge mess, we can rejoice and be content. Why? Because we know that- God knows. His truth indeed sets people free. How liberated do you feel? Or are you weighed down by the things that you have NO control over?
Leave all of you with this quote and verse;
“The sovereignty of God is the one impregnable rock to which the suffering human heart must cling. The circumstances surrounding our lives are no accident: they may be the work of evil but that evil is held firmly within the mighty hand of our sovereign God… “– Margaret Clark, Grace Grows Best in Winter
“I am the one who creates the light and makes the darkness. I am the one who sends good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the ones who does these things.” Isaiah 45:7
Cling on to the God who is sove-REIGN. Cling on. And let Him control. You’ll never go wrong.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment